are the general rules and policies for wireless communications at
UL Lafayette in the 2.4 and 5 GHz Unlicensed Bands.
- Wireless data network access and services are subject
to the same rules and policies that govern other computer and network
services at UL Lafayette.
- Radio interference: Because of a dependence on a scarce-shared
resource, radio communication is subject to additional rules concerning
interference and shared use. Off-campus interference may not be
controllable and may prevent the University Wireless Information
Network (UWIN) from operating.
- Network policies: To successfully deploy an 802.11b/g/a network,
it is required that all equipment operating in the 2.4 and 5 GHz
spectrum be carefully positioned, installed and configured. Information
Networks is responsible for the design and deployment.
- To avoid potential interference with the UL Lafayette UWIN wireless
network, users and departments are not allowed to install their
own wireless access points or wireless networks on campus.
- Installation: To minimize interference at UL Lafayette, any purchase
or installation of 802.11b/g/a wireless networking equipment, or
any other equipment that uses the same unlicensed frequency bands,
inside of University buildings or on University property must be
coordinated through Information Networks (this includes, but is
not limited to, wireless video, cordless telephones, cordless RF
keyboards and mice, Bluetooth devices etc.).
- The owner of any uncoordinated wireless Access Point, AirPort,
wireless router or other device that is connected to the University
wired or wireless network is responsible for any unauthorized access
and the results of such access to the UL Lafayette network. Information
Networks may take down any wireless access point or other wireless
device if it causes interference with UWIN Wireless or any other
officially sanctioned UL Lafayette service operating in the 2.4
or 5 Ghz unlicensed spectrum.
- Users are responsible for obtaining the correct computer hardware
and software to access UWIN.